Develop WB coatings that can at last deliver as expected by controlling surface/interface tensions with the right set of surface-active additives (wetting agents, levelers, defoamers…
Johan Bieleman will share his practical experience (>35 years) on how to select the right chemistry at the optimal loading
and how to mix additives for maximum synergy & simplicity.
Course Type Formulation - Level Intermediate
Why you should attend
- Save time selecting surfactants (polysiloxanes, polyfluorsurfactants...) with a detailed review of their pros & cons by an expert in additives
- Reduce costs of your WB coatings and inks by adjusting variety and loadings of additives used to reach targeted performance
- Achieve better balance in paint properties (wetting, adhesion, leveling, film appearance...) by efficiently controling tensions at different interfaces
Who is it for?
Formulators, technicians, engineers, scientists & managers involved in the development of waterborne paints, inks and related ingredients and those switching from solventborne coatings
The following sections will be covered during this session:
- Introduction: why surfactants are essential ingredients in a waterborne paint
- How surfactants help influence performance, cost and quality
- Fundamentals of Surface Tension
- Review of Surfactant families (benefits & drawbacks)
Organic hydrocarbon based surfactants
- phosphate esters
- quats, various
- Pigment wetting
- Side effects: Film defects and surface control
- Side effects: Foaming and Defoaming
- Optimizing surfactant usage for cost efficiency & reduction of side-effects
At the end of the training there will be a Q&A Session where you can pose questions to Johan Bieleman.
A transcript of all the questions and answers will be made available after the event.
Brian D. ,
from Eliokem Inc.:
"It provided insights of some ways to select the optimal surfactant types to assist with overcoming various formulation issues."
Matt H. ,
from National Coatings:
"The course very well explained the process involved in the reduction of surface tension."
Daniel K. ,
"It gave me a good understanding of the interactions of components in the coating."
Formulating waterborne systems requires the use of plenty of surface-active additives (wetting agents, levelers, associative thickeners, defoamers...) and it is often difficult to find the right balance in composition to achieve desired performance while minimizing side-effects.
to select additives on solid grounds rather than just trusting suppliers recommendations to play with your formulation (composition & loadings) to achieve / adjust performance.
With the structured review on how to best control surface / interfacial tension in waterborne systems, you will gain in autonomy & efficiency in your future coatings & inks formulation work.
Especially, you will be able:
Attend e-Training Courses with your colleagues
(even if they are not in the same place):
||Group / Multi Access
|Number of attendees
||Up to 3 attendees
||Up to 10 attendees
|Number of connections
||Up to 3 connections
|Fee (currency converter)
SpecialChem is not accountable for users' costs linked to participating in the e-Training Course, including but not limited to
the phone and Internet connection fees. We advise you to use your computer's audio. We also provide local phone numbers for when available.
Your registration includes
- Pdf slides at least 24h before the live session
- 1h online short course by an independent expert
- Live interaction with the expert during the 30-minute Q&A session
- Q&A Transcript when you submit your feedback on the course
- Expert contact details to further discuss your projects
You can cancel your order any time prior to the course by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All cancellations made before presentation slides are sent will be charged 30% of total order price
- If presentation slides have been sent but the live session has not yet been delivered, 50% of total order price will be charged
- All cancellations made after the course will be charged a full amount of the order price.
|Special Offers on e-Training Courses
Discount on your second session:
Register online to 2 sessions at the same time & get 25% off the cheapest one
Purchase credits in advance & attend whenever you or your colleagues want within 12 months.
- 5 credits: € 999 (save up to 30%)
- 10 credits: € 1499 (save up to 55%)
(*) 1 regular access = 1 credit used,
1 group/multi access = 2 credits used
12-month access to all e-Training Courses for € 2999