Resist Dirt Pick-up
Dirt pick-up for low-VOC exterior paint is one of the toughest challenges that formulators
encounter. Many factors contribute to increased dirt pick-up. High PVC paints
have a higher surface area allowing greater area for dirt to accumulate. Low Tg
resins make the film soft and sticky under heat and moisture. Oil affinitive surface
active additives attract environmental dirt and stains to the painted surface.
Capstone® flurorosurfactants serve three functions:
- Allows the reduction of film tackiness
- Allows the reduction of hydrophobic additives, which are oil/soil attracting
additives (indirect reduction of dirt attraction)
- Adds oil repellency to the paint (direct reduction of dirt attraction)
Dirt Pick-up Resistance (Comparison)
| Traditional formulation
|| DuPont Capstone® Fluorosurfactant
Accelerated dirt pickup resistance (DPR )
Access Dirt Pick-up Solution Case Study
1. Apply an artificial dry dirt (mixture of silica gel, iron oxide, aluminum oxide,
carbon black and soil) until the panel are completely covert.
2. Remove excess dirt by gentle brush. The panel is measured for L*, a*, and b*
value with a spectrophotometer (CM2600d from Minolta).
Recommended Capstone® grades are available in the product selection page.